Public Speaking can be difficult, and it is perfectly normal to feel uncomfortable on stage. Using a couple of speaking tactics though, it can be fun and engaging. Here are some tips for public speaking success.
- Audiences love to hear good stories. They are engaging and humanizing. If you can engage and connect with your audience, you will feel it on stage and be more comfortable.
- Do not read your presentation out loud. That comes across as lazy because it indicates that you did not practice your speech. It may be easier for you, but the audience be inattentive.
- Sometimes videotaping yourself practicing your speech is a good way to figure out what you need to improve. You can see your flaws and your strengths and work on both. It may make you feel more comfortable hearing your voice when you are doing the public appearance.
- Do your best to not quote other people and list tedious stats. Audiences will forget them immediately. If you have to quote stats, use rounded numbers and large ones if you can. This will have more of an effect on the audience.
- Bring energy to the stage. If you bring energy, your audience will engage and pay attention. Additionally, you will feel more confident.
- If you don’t have any good jokes, that is ok. No jokes are better than bad jokes.
- If you want to do Q&A’s, do one off stage after your appearance. This will be easier for you and it will encourage the audience to ask questions as most people will be afraid to ask a question in front of everybody.
At Global Network Infrastructure Planning for Verizon Steve Misencik is the Director. He frequently is asked to make public appearances as a speaker both in his job and outside of work. He has come to enjoy public speaking over the years thanks to these tips.